Friday, August 23, 2019

Nectar In A Sieve by Kamala Markandaya

I visited India when I was eleven years old in 1962, and admired its beauty, but was totally emotionally destroyed by the poverty viewed everywhere. I just could not handle it. This book really conveys the horrendous situation many people in India face, incessant poverty and hardship. A young girl is married to a farmer who farms, the land he does not own. She struggles daily with her husband to feed their children and provide them a better future. I imagine the situation has only gotten worse with the huge increase in population and diminishing resources. This story was so poignant but it was also very illustrative of the fate many around the world face in 2019, and I think it is a valuable piece of literature for readers to absorb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments here: